Sunday 8 August 2010

The 1 yr mark

That's right folks! It's been just over a year since I stepped onto a plane with a one-way ticket destined for the other side of the planet. At that point I'd spent the best part of a year bringing the plan to fruition. I'd also never lived, worked or spent any longer than two weeks away from home and family. That 12 hour plane journey was the first step towards a home away from home. The next step involved me soiling myself. After that, it was relatively smooth sailing.

Now a year later I can say I don't regret it for an instant. The people I've met, the adventures and experiences I've had so far have most certainly helped to shape my perceptions and attitudes, and for that I will always be grateful. If someone had told me a couple of years ago that in the summer of 2010 I'd have been living in Japan for a year I'd have told them to stop taking that rubbish, but alas here I am. Japan has certainly been well worth a year of my life, and I'm now in my second year.

"Hold on, hold on, I'm not done... one more time, with feeling!"

1 comment:

  1. I think all of us ex-pats feel that our lives have taken turns we never expected. Luckily we are two examples of people who don't regret anything. Enjoy the rest of it, by what I hear, once a citizen of the world is hard to feel home anywhere again without missing your "other homes" where you've lived before ;)

    ReplyDelete